SYDNEY METRO PLATFORMS AT CENTRAL STATION AND CENTRAL WALK
Sydney Metro is Australia’s biggest public transport project. It will transform Sydney, delivering more trains and faster services across the network.
Laing O’Rourke is delivering the new Sydney Metro underground platforms at Central Station as well as the landmark Central Walk.
The work includes:
- Excavation and construction of the new underground Sydney Metro platforms at Central beneath platforms 13, 14 and 15
- Central Walk – a 19-metre wide underground concourse from a new entrance on Chalmers Street
- Escalators directly to suburban platforms 12 to 23 for the first time
- An upgraded northern concourse with transformed pedestrian thoroughfares
- A new feature roof to the Northern Concourse that will transform the space and emphasise the historic features of the Central Electric Building.
Central Station works and Central Walk are expected to be completed in 2022 with Central Walk open to customers.
Work will continue along the 30km length of the Sydney Metro City & Southwest project to lay tracks and fit out stations before services start in 2024.
This is the first step in the renewal of Central Station, bringing new entrances and simpler interchanges that will make life easier for customers.
Laing O’Rourke is delivering the project alongside global architecture firm Woods Bagot and its partner John McAslan + Partners, and with one of the world’s leading design partnerships comprising GHD and Aurecon.
For more information
If you have any questions or wish to lodge a comment, suggestion or complaint about the project, please contact our team on 1800 171 386 or CentralStationMetro@transport.nsw.gov.au.