SYDNEY METRO PLATFORMS AT CENTRAL STATION AND CENTRAL WALK
Sydney Metro is Australia’s biggest public transport project. It will transform Sydney, delivering more trains and faster services across the network.
The work includes:
- excavation and construction of the new underground Sydney Metro platforms at Central beneath platforms 13, 14 and 15
- Central Walk – a 19-metre wide underground concourse from a new entrance on Chalmers Street
- escalators directly to suburban platforms 12 to 23 for the first time
- an upgraded northern concourse with transformed pedestrian thoroughfares
- a new feature roof to the Northern Concourse that will transform the space and emphasise the historic features of the Central Electric Building
Central Station works and Central Walk are expected to be completed in 2022 with Central Walk open to customers.
Work will continue along the 30km length of the Sydney Metro City & Southwest project to lay tracks and fit out stations before services start in 2024.
This is the first step in the renewal of Central Station, bringing new entrances and simpler interchanges that will make life easier for customers.
Laing O’Rourke will deliver the project alongside global architecture firm Woods Bagot and its partner John McAslan + Partners, and with one of the world’s leading design partnerships comprising GHD and Aurecon.
- Brand new underground Sydney Metro platforms, with platform screen doors to keep people and objects away from the tracks and allow trains to get in and out of the station faster;
- Easy interchange with suburban, intercity and regional trains, buses and light rail;
- New underground pedestrian connections;
- For the first time, customers will be able to use escalators to get to platforms 12 to 23;
For more information
1800 171 386